David is currently in his final year of studying a Doctor of Clinical Psychology at Monash University. His research involves the use of mental health apps, and he has been involved in the development of two apps, MoodPrism and MoodMission. David is passionate about making evidence-based psychological techniques and mental health education more accessible to the public. He is a clinical psychology registrar working at Seed Psychology, guiding clients through evidence-based therapies, such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), towards better mental health and wellbeing.
David grew up in Launceston, Tasmania and moved to Hobart for his undergraduate and honours studies in psychology. He then worked for two years in mental health outreach before moving to Melbourne to pursue postgraduate studies at Monash University.
Currently enrolled in a Doctor of Psychology (Clinical Psychology) at Monash University. This is a 3.5 year course that combines the clinical training of a Clinical Masters degree with the advanced research of a PhD.
Completed a Bachelor of Psychology with First Class Honours at the University of Tasmania, 2008 - 2011.
- Clinical Registrar at Seed Psychology
- Internship placement at headspace Knox (July - December 2016)
- Internship placement at the Melbourne DBT Centre (January - June 2016)
- Advanced placement (July 2015 - January 2016) with the Clinical & Health Psychology Department at the Austin Hospital
- Intermediate placement (February - August 2015) at the Monash Psychology Centre
- Introductory placement (June - November 2014) with the Monash Memory Skills Group
Worked for two years as a Mental Health Recovery Worker with the Personal Helpers and Mentors Program (PHaMs) at Anglicare Tasmania, 2012-2013.
Employed as a Support Worker in Anglicare Tasmania's shared homes program for intellectually and physically disabled individuals, 2009 - 2011.
- Teaching associate at Monash University for:
- Mental Health in the Community (PMH1011) 2017, including presentation of lecture on mental health and technology
- Introduction to Counselling (PSY3120) 2016
- 1st year psychology units (PSY1011 & PSY1022) 2015 - 2016
- Tutor for 1st, 2nd and 3rd year psychology subjects for students at Jane Franklin Hall (residential college in Hobart, Tasmania), 2009 - 2013
Founding director of MoodMission - find out more about the project HERE.
- Writer of a title for Monash’s MWorld iPad app (www.discovermworld.com) on music and emotion
- Employed as Residential Assistant at Jane Franklin Hall residential college, 2010
- Producer of 2 comedy rooms in Tasmania - host of these rooms 2011 - 2013
- Performing and producing live comedy since 2008
- Co-creator and host of podcast, Comedy Ahoy!
- Directed the college play at Jane Franklin Hall in 2009 and 2010. There were medium-sized productions that each took about 5 months of rehearsals and preparation to perform.
- Performed in two Old Nick Theatre Company productions in 2009; “Kevin 007” and “Diamond Nickers”.
- Australian Services Union official delegate for Anglicare in southern Tasmania, 2013
- Actively and deeply involved in the organization and conduction of community events for Anglicare’s Mental Health Week Bus Tour. Member of the Southern Working Group in 2012 and member of both the Southern Working Group and the State Committee in 2013. I was one of the only non-management staff to be on the State Committee
- Volunteered on numerous Taz Kids camps, 2012-2013. These camps support children whose parents have a mental illness.
- Numerous presentations at forums and service information sessions about the PHaMs program and mental health awareness, both by myself and as part of a team